Data Protection Officer
Pursuant to Article 37 of the General Data Protection Regulation (hereinafter: Regulation), Data Protection Officer is an individual appointed by the Controller who looks after the legality of data processing and the exercise of the right to the protection of personal data.
Duties and tasks of Data Protection Officers are laid down in Article 39 of the Regulation, according to which the Data Protection Officer:
- Informs and advises the Controller and the employees who are processing about their obligations under the Regulation and other regulations related to data protection;
- Monitors compliance with the Regulations, raises the awareness of employees in relation to the importance of data protection,
- Provides advice when needed and/or requested;
- Cooperates with the competent Supervisory body;
- Acts as a contact point for the supervisory body and subjects, about the issues related to the processing and protection of personal data.
Data Protection Officer is required to maintain the confidentiality of all information and data they become aware of when performing their duties. This obligation also applies after the termination of their duties as Data Protection Officers.